Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”). You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0. Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
The v10 series is in active development; the v9 series is frozen. Both of these series are supported.
The old v8 series of releases is no longer supported. Migration from v8 to a more recent release is very strongly recommended.
The following upcoming and potentially breaking changes are scheduled for the next major pan compiler release (v11):
- Support for the file extension ‘.tpl’ is deprecated and will be removed in the v11 series of the compiler. Rename your pan source files from ‘.tpl’ to ‘.pan’.
- The path ‘/panc’ will be reserved by the compiler. Values under this path will be used to transmit information about the pan compiler version and compilation flags to downstream tools. Avoid putting configuration information in the ‘/panc’ part of the configuration tree.
- (GitHub Issue #80) enable automated build of documentation on the http://quattor-pan.readthedocs.org/.
- (GitHub Issue #79, #81) move documentation sources from DocBook to restructured text.
- (GitHub Issue #76) remove ‘object’ template reference in output stats
- (GitHub Issue #71, #72, #73, #74, #75) add options for displaying the pan compiler version and update documentation
- (GitHub Issue #70) create a null formatter mainly for performance testing
- (GitHub Issue #68) revert a couple of UTF-8 read/write changes to conserve backward compatibility
- (GitHub Issue #67) update source and bytecode to java 1.6
- (GitHub Issue #13) change nlist references to dict
- (GitHub Issue #48) allow variable substitution for bind/valid paths
- (GitHub Issue #34) add the file_exists function
- (GitHub Issue #63) allow user to specify number of threads for processing (nthread option)
- (GitHub Issue #61) fix processing of include path CLI argument
- (GitHub Issue #59) add substitute function to replace named values in string template
- (GitHub Issue #54) convert source files to UTF-8
- (GitHub Issue #49) add warning in docs that all pan source files must be UTF-8 (also for file_contents function)
- (GitHub Issue #47) fix compiler hang when using escape sequence in path literal
- (GitHub Issue #43) fix compiler crash when SELF is used as a function
- (GitHub Issue #41) RPM package should not own /usr/bin and /usr/lib
- (GitHub Issue #40) ensure line number and file name are correct for traceback function
- (GitHub Issue #38) add ip address and netmask functions
- (GitHub Issue #37) ensure line numbers appear in error message for bad default values
- (GitHub Issue #36) allow to_long to treat values like “08” and “09”
- (GitHub Issue #31) fix options processing for CLI (bad processing causes failure)
- (GitHub Issue #29) update links in documentation to GitHub from SourceForge
- (GitHub Issue #15, #24) add OBJECT to debug and error output
- (GitHub Issue #31) panc command line fails
- (GitHub Issue #27) Remove session directory functionality
- (GitHub Issue #5) Remove deprecated options from panc ant task
- (GitHub Issue #4) Remove panc-old script
- (GitHub Issue #2) Remove deprecation level attribute in favor of warnings attribute in pan-syntax-check mojo
- (GitHub Issue #26) Restore backward compatibility for gzip output flag
No additional changes besides those in RC1 and RC2.
- (SF Bug #3585672) Permit both lower and upper case strings for warnings flag in ant and maven tasks.
- (SF Bug #3585346) Misleading deprecation message for debug element
- (SF Bug #3582159) Uncaught exception when creating XML transformation
- (SF RFE #3581805) Remove support for XMLDB format.
- (SF RFE #3581801) Change dependency file extension from *.xml.dep to *.dep.
- (SF RFE #3535682) Allow multiple output formats to be generated from CLI.
- (SF Bug #3535413) Check timestamps of all requested output file formats.
- (SF Bug #3529737) Non-object templates can be accessed via value().
- (SF Bug #3579769) Tests failed because of change in TreeSet contract in Java 1.7.
- (SF Bug #3579770) Shell scripts use bash syntax. Explicitly use bash in she-bang lines.
- (SF Bug #3581163) Invalid replacement string in replace() raises uncaught exception.
- (SF RFE #3489988) Allow negative values in range expressions.
- The include syntax without required braces is now allowed.
- The panc command no longer includes the possibility to process annotations. This functionality is now in a separate command panc-annotations.
- The panc command now uses a streamlined set of options that are not compatible with the previous one. The previous one can be invoked with the panc-old command.
- (SF RFE #3489506) Provide a pan maven archetype. A rudimentary implementation is available which uses the panc maven plugin.
- (SF RFE #3489504) Provide a maven build mojo. A rudimentary implementation is available in the panc maven plugin.
- (SF RFE #3489048) Switch unit tests to use the pan XML format instead of xmldb.
- (SF RFE #3489084) Remove support for panx extension. This has been removed as an XML input format is no longer in the roadmap.
- (SF RFE #3477756) Provide JSON output option. Initial JSON formatter is available; detailed serialization may change based on feedback. The pan compiler now includes the GSON library (Apache 2 license) to handle the JSON serialization.
- (SF RFE #3477753) Deprecate xmldb format. Use the standard pan XML format instead of the xmldb format.
- (SF Bug #3488948) Annotation information in pan book is inaccurate. The description has been correct and expanded somewhat.
- (SF Bug #3485801) pan does not build on Windows; full build and unit tests now run correctly on windows
- (SF Bug #3485492) file_contents does not work correctly on Windows; problems with file name handling have been resolved
- (SF Bug #3483938) Fix the README file to contain information on changes up through the production 9.0 release.
Production release contains the same features as RC3. All version numbers will be considered production releases unless marked explicitly as alpha, beta, or release candidates.
- (SF RFE #3422390) The root element used as the starting point for all machine profiles can be specified from the command line and ant task. This allows the injection of data into all of the profiles without having to include explicitly a template in all machine profiles. This will be useful for injecting build metadata into the profiles. Note that the injected data must still follow the global schema (if defined), otherwise builds will fail with validation errors.
The documentation has been significantly reorganized with all of the documentation apart from this README combined into a single “pan book”.
This release contains the following changes:
- (SF Bug #3171788) Improve error message for format() function when there is a mismatch between given format string and arguments.
- (SF RFE #3386906) Support for \b (backspace) and \f (form feed) escape sequences in double-quoted strings.
- (SF Bug #3186921) Dependency calculation in ant task does not work correctly for namespaced object templates.